Sunday, September 30, 2007

Next Stop....Canada


View of downtown Vancouver
Three cargo ships creeping along.

"The only conceivable static (stability) is life, development - movement, or as follows:
For Statics
Everything moves continuously. Immobility does not exist. Don't be subject to the influence of out-of-date concepts of time. Forget hours, seconds and minutes. Accept instability.
LIVE IN TIME. BE STATIC - WITH MOVEMENT. For a static of the present moment. Resist the anxious fear to fix the instantaneous, to kill that which is living. Stop insisting on 'values' which cannot but break down. Be free, live.
Stop painting time. Stop evoking movement and gesture. You are movement and gesture. Stop building cathedrals and pyramids which are doomed to fall into ruin. Live in the present; live once more in Time and by Time - for a wonderful and absolute reality." March 1959 Tinquely

As a birthday present to myself, I decided I would go to Canada. I had never been and figured since I was so close to the border -- what the hell.
I arrived in the big city of Vancouver on Thursday night. On Friday, I walked all over the city. To Granville Island, through Stanley Park, Chinatown and many more areas of the city. It was slightly overcast which meant I wasn't able to see the beautiful mountains in the background of the city. Although big, Vancouver is a great city.
On Saturday, I went to North Vancouver to the Capilano Suspension Bridge which is more of an overpriced tourist attraction. I did receive a certificate which entitles me to two years of bragging rights for braving 230 feet and a 450 foot span across the raging (not so) waters of the Capilano Canyon.
After an hour of waiting to cross back into the United States, I drove over Deception Pass Bridge into Whidbey Island. While on Whidbey Island, I did a loop trail around Ebey's Landing and spent a very windy night at a campground (sleeping in my car) at Fort Casey (467-acre park with a lighthouse, an old artillery with two historic guns on display). Fort Casey is one of three coastal forts built in 1890s to defend the entrance into Puget Sound and the United States Navel Shipyard in Brementon.
On Sunday morning before I left Fort Casey, I walked around the old artillery, by the lighthouse. That was really cool.
Instead of traveling for one more day, I decided it best to get back to Trout Lake for a day of relaxing/getting some personal stuff done so that I didn't feel so rushed for going out on the next hitch. Which turns out we will not be spiking out and just doing day trips out of Trout Lake. It will be a little weird to work and then sleep in a bed instead of a tent.

Song Quote: "I'm gonna buy a gun and start a war if you can tell me something worth fighting for" Coldplay - Rush Of Blood To The Head

No comments: