Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Skittles Have Never Tasted So Good

My awesome medal that I got for completing the R.O.T.T.
Still smiling after 10 miles.
One of the many awesome views while on the trail.
Our sweet ride back to the "pig farm"
Breathtaking view from the "pig farm" where we enjoyed a celebration party after the R.O.T.T.

On Saturday, September 4, 2010, I participated in a Run Over the Tetons with 14 truly amazing women. 26.2 Miles, 4,000 Vertical, No Food, No Water, No Potties

Things I learned while running over the beautiful, awe inspiring Tetons:
1)getting up at 4 am is worth if for a few reasons: the stars are still out, getting the rare chance of seeing a meteorite, and watching the sunrise over the Jenny Lake and the Tetons;
2)the optional three extra miles at the beginning is worth the pain in the end;
3)falling 6 miles in is a good sign that things might not go so well for the next 20;
4)gatorade, skittles, avocado, and lays potato chips taste much better at 10,000 feet and your muscles ache like hell;
5)you can always count on old and new friends to get you through your toughest times;
6)a dive in a cold, cold pond not once but twice at the end feels amazing!!!! Follow that by an epsom salt bath and a shower ;)

In the end, a party and a kick ass medal is all worth it. Sign me up for next year!!



As I was climbing up the last hill to Hurricane Pass I was listening to a song on my ipod that rang so true for the last push up the hill:
"With Every Step, You Climb Another Mountain, Every Breath, It's Harder To Believe You'll Make It Through The Pain, Weather The Hurricanes To Get To That One Thing." No Boundaries --Kris Allen

As I was coming down the other side, at one point I heard another song that rang true for that particular moment:
"In this world there's a whole lot of cold, in this world there's a whole lot of blame, in this world you've a soul for a compass, and a heart for a pair of wings" Why Walk When You Can Fly -- Mary Chapin Carpenter

1 comment:

Unknown said...

shannie...you never fail to amaze me