Thursday, February 03, 2011

Hallo Mam…Please Mam…Mam Mam Mam

Gateway of India
One of the carvings in the cave on Elephanta Island
Boats on the harbour
Fruit Sculptures
Post Office

My first impression of Mumbai was that it was pretty clean, quiet, and peaceful with the traditional Indian music. Then I left the airport.

In all seriousness, the smell was the first thing I noticed which was a sort of good familiar smell. Like I had just arrived in Peru. The slightly crazy taxi ride (the taxis here are small and cute) to our (my sister Jessy and I are traveling together for 2 weeks) hotel while watching the city turn from night to day was a warm welcoming to India.

Once settled and rested, out we went to the bazaars. Little did we know that once this city wakes it turns into a zoo. Car horns honking, crazy drivers, rickshaws, bicycles, a mass of people playing leap frog with the cars. One thing I loved was the fact that they honk there horns but don’t really slow down. You have to be quick or else you will become a smashed frog (like in the game leapfrog).

Some highlights of the bazaars…electronics galore, fruit sculptures, spices being harassed in a sense at every opportunity with Hallo Mam, Please Mam…t-shirts, handbags, jeans, trinkets that you just have to have!

We spent the evening watching the sunset and walking along Chowpatty Beach. The beach was filled with kids, a miniature amusement park that had a man powered tidal wave, food booths where we enjoyed a dosa (YUMMY) that cost about $2 for both of us, lights, balloons. Forget about swimming, the water is toxic which is evident by the amount of trash washed upon on shore.

Day 2

The Taj Mahal of India

Thank goodness for a bed (not the most comfortable) in order to get a good night’s sleep. I love the feeling of waking up feeling refreshed after 3 days of very little sleep.

Today was Taj Mahal day or so we thought. When in actuality, the Taj Mahal of Mumbai is just a hotel facing the harbour. Oops for thinking otherwise. I thought it odd that there was only a small blurb on it in the guidebook. Somewhere in the back of my mind I didn’t think that it was located in Mumbai.

Still enjoyed our day by taking a boat ride to Elephanta Island. This island home to a labyrinth of cave temples carved in the basalt rock of the island. The main temple cave is dedicated to Shiva and depicts a three faced Shiva as the destroyer, creator and preserver of the universe. Elephanta Island is also home to monkeys who can be a little aggressive especially if they are tainted. The only encounter I had was one that grabbed at a bag I was carrying and then growled at me.

Before we took the boat ride to Elephanta Island, we people watched at The Gateway of India which sits at the tip of Apollo Bunder in Mumbai and was built to commemorate the 1911 royal visit of King George V.

That evening we enjoyed our most expensive meal. It cost us more then all our meals combined in the past 2 days.

Tomorrow we take a 12-hour train ride to the beach town of Goa.

It’s time to leave this crazy town!!

Song Quote: “Hey, what a beautiful mess this is, it’s like picking up trash…here we are, here we are, we’re still here.” Beautiful Mess – Jason Mraz

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Are you going to get sick from eating street food? I've hear horror stories... Be safe! And bring me back something awesome that I just have to have! :)