This summer I get to work in the great outdoors. I accepted an AmeriCorps position through Northwest Service Acadamy/Mount Adams Center which is based in Trout Lake, Washington. I will be a Field Team Member working on a team of 7 (2 leaders and 5 team members). We will be working on the Pacific Crest Trail in Northern California/Southern Oregon until about the middle of August and then heading north on the trail until the end of October.
The past two weeks, I have been training at the Northwest Service Academy/Mount Adams Center. Our training has included first aid/cpr, food handlers, member handbook, tool use and maintenance, etc. It has not just been work, work, work....we have had plenty of time to have fun and get to know not only our team but other team members as well. One more week of training then off to work.
A few fun facts about Trout Lake, Washington....
1. It is located in the northwestern corner of Klickitat County;
2. Trout Lake was first settled by the Swiss, but Americans soon followed and soon constituted more than a majority of the families;
3. The mayor pumps your gas and fixes your car;
4. Sleeping Beauty rests on a mountain top;
5. There is a Self Mastery Earth Institute where people gather in the field to see UFO's fly over Mt. Adams and they have Science, Spirit and World Transformation seminars (kind of freaky if you ask me);
6. They have multiple caves (i.e. ice caves, cheese caves, deadhorse cave and more)
7. There is only one school for grades K through 12; and
8. Pine cones fall from the sky;)
Song Quote of the Blog
"cuz it's the whispers I have never understood" Nanci Griffith - Song More Than A Whisper
Keep checking back for updates and pictures

No comments:
Post a Comment