Saturday, July 21, 2007

2007 Summer Summit Champions -- PCT N

After a day of relaxing in Lincoln, Karlena and I headed to Crater Lake. We arrived Friday mid afternoon and picked a campsite out of over 200. Come to find out later that we picked the busiest weekend ever in the park's history.
Once we got situated with the campsite, I biked around a majority of the crater rim (about 20 + miles). Some of it was pretty tough. It was a beautiful day to be hiking.
That night we attended a presentation on the bird's at Crater Lake. It was pretty interesting.
On Saturday we headed up 97 through Bend on our way up to Trout Lake. Outside of Bend, we we stopped at a Lava Bed Monument with views of Mt. Bachelor, the Three Sister peaks.
Back in Trout Lake for the week. After two days of a nature hike, meetings, and catching up with other teams, it was team challenge day where all teams get nasty and we compete for the "timekeeper." The day started out pouring rain but that didn't stop us from playing our games. Each team had a category and then had to come up with a game for the teams to play and then that team would judge each team. The team with the most points at the end of the day won.
Teams also received points for having the most creative costumes/wearing them all day and team spirit.
The last competition of the day was dancing with the stars where two people from each team danced to different types of music that changed every couple of minutes. One by one they would be weeded out by the judges which happened to be the staff. At the end two guys from team were left standing. The dance off was the funniest thing that I had ever seen (someone recorded it so I might post it if I can). Once the points were added up, the winning team was announced. Drumroll please....PCT N....my team. We won the "timekeeper" and a cowboy hard hat which is pictured above. The hard hat is way cool. I feel like I need to go and buy some cowboy boots. It might of helped that we went into the competition with some points for winning a competition in training back in May. The funny thing about my team winning is that my team is so under the radar and not really all that competitive.
Friday was the actual summer summit day where we there was workshops. I made my very first dream catcher which I am very proud of.
Tomorrow we head back down south to southern Oregon. Monday we start our first backcountry in the Marble Mountains in California. 7 miles hiking in. We have 2 volunteers joining us which will be our first volunteers of the year.

Song Quote: "I've had my share of sand, kicked in my face, but I've come through" Queen - Song We Are The Champions

No comments: