Sunday, August 12, 2007

Hitch #4 - Freezer In The Backcountry


So....I have been slacking a little on updating my blog.
Our first backcountry hitch was successful even though we started out with a 15 hour day. The hike in was really beautiful. We hiked through amazing, colorful (yellow, white, violet, red) wild flower meadows.
Our base camp for the week was a half mile uphill climb to the Pacific Crest Trail and then we still had a mile to 2 mile hike to our project site. We worked with 3 people with the forest service. The majority of the week, I spent lopping and brushing. One day I was able to use my handy dandy cross certification by hiking about 12 miles to cross cut 2 big and 1 little tree out of the trail.
We had 3 volunteers this week: Amy, a friend of our crew leader's, Casey; Keith, Will's brother; and Bernard, early 60 year old man who was a super hard worker.
Luckily, we were packed in by 7 mules, otherwise we would of had to carry our food, tools, etc. and that would not have been fun. One of the coolers we had, had dry ice, so the food in that cooler was frozen. Our most successful keeping food cool to date.
The above picture was taken from the meadow by our camp. The sunset over the mountains was incredible. The last night I stayed up and stargazed.

No comments: