Monday, January 07, 2019

Where It Is Daylight 18 Hours A Day

Time to start up my blog after years hiatus.
I have been wanting to go to Patagonia for many years and finally made the trek. I decided I wanted to explore the Chile side and picked a tour with GAdventures. I spent 4 days hiking the famous W Trek.


I arrived in Puerto Natales Chile on Saturday, December 29 in the afternoon. When I stepped off the plane, it was windy and cold. I could see the beautiful mountains in the distance. That evening we had a briefing with our two guides and the CEO of GAdventures. There were 16 total participants. Most of them from Australia, 3 from UK, 1 from Canada and 2 from the US.


On Sunday, December 30th we got on a 2 hour bus ride to Torre Del Paines National Park to start our 14 mile hike for the day. I was not prepared for the throngs of tourists waiting to hike and on the trail. 
The first 20 minutes was flat and then we started uphill. Coming from Utah, the uphills were short compared to the home.  We hiked to Windy Pass (appropriate name), passed a lodge/Refugio, through forest and finally the steep climb to get to the top and the base of the towers. The towers are unreal to see in person. I just wish there wouldn’t have been so many people😊

Sacrificed a wet foot for this picture.

Upon completion of the hike, we drive to our lodging for the night. It was a nice lodge where we camped in tents. We arrived late but were welcomed with some great food and hot showers.
The next day which happened to be New Year’s Eve, we drove to take a catamaran/boat to our next lodging and start of our hike. The views from the boat were amazing if you braved standing up top and fighting the cold wind.

Once at our lodging, we were shown our tents and headed out for a windy, wet, cold 8 mile hike to Grey Glacier. The glacier was amazing to see. However, the final climb and top were incredible windy with rain blowing in your face. The hike down was rainy and windy. The first thing I did when getting back to camp, was get out of my wet clothes. It was a fun day despite the elements. 


That night we were surrounded by hundreds of other hikers bringing in the new year. I made it to about 11 before needing to go to bed.
On New Years, we set off from our camp to hike the French valley (10 miles) The first part of our hike was what is referred to as the Patagonia flat or rolling hills. Halfway we made our way up a rocky steep uphill where we saw glaciers, heard and saw avalanches, and got a little snow. 


Our camp that night was another lodge/Refugio with tent camping.
We set out on our final day each taking our respective places for the hike.  We silently knew who to follow.  At this point, knowing the pace of the person in front of you.  Our final day hike (8 miles) took us along Patagonia flat with many beautiful views and to where we started on day 1.

The weather in Patagonia is unpredictable and the sun is different. It was recommended to always put on sunscreen even if cloudy. It could be rainy and windy one minute and then sunny and warm the next. I was constantly shedding layers and putting them on.
I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect but had a great experience and can’t wait to return for more exploring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is SO amazing, Shannon. I am glad to see your taste for adventure hasn't diminished in your old age! :)