Monday, October 02, 2006

Robbed In Italy







Pooh: I would be quite lost without you...Who would I call on those days when I'm not strong enough or brave enough? And who would I ask for advice when I didn't know which way to turn? "We" simply would not be.

Christopher Robin: If ever there's a tomorrow when we're not together. There's something you must remember...You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we ever part, I'll always be with you.

Quote from Winnie the Pooh

Get ready for quite the good travel story:

When we arrived back at the villa around 9:30 p.m. on Thursday night, after being in Florence all day, we found that someone had broken into the villa. We did not find this out for sure until the next morning. We entered the door to the kitchen, only to rush out of there within minutes. One of my friends happened to walk into the dining room to find one of the windows open, which had most likely been locked when we left that morning. They were always very careful about locking up the place before we left. Anyway, I didn't really know what was going on until one of them asked me if I would feel comfortable unlocking the gate to get out. We drove out of there fast up to the owner's house only to find the gates locked. We couldn't get a hold of the people that we had contact information for. The police station, at least where we thought it was, was closed. We decided it would be best to go and stay at a hotel for the night until we could go back with someone in the daylight.

The next morning, we went back up alone and looked at the outside first to make sure the window was actually open and broken or if it had blown open by accident. It was defiantly broken. We went straight away to the owner's house and found one of them home to come and check things out with us. We decided it would be best to pack up and leave after assessing the damage and if necessary reporting it to the police station. Come to find out, the thieves only managed to get away with some of my belongings. They didn't take any of our passports, money, or any of the paintings or other items in the villa. We are lucky that we were not home at the time. The fact that they broke into the house when lights were on, make us think they would of entered if we would have been there. Our thinking is that they were still in the house when we arrived home. We also think that they must of just been kids because they didn't take our passports or other important documents that may have been lying around.

We ended up driving to Rome for the night since two of us were flying out of Rome on Saturday morning. We found a hotel in one of the fishing towns outside of Rome by the airport. I got to walk on the beach for a few minutes. I didn't realize how close Rome was to a beach. Kind of cool. That night we ate at a wonderful seafood place along the canal where there were a lot of fishing boats. Very good and fun environment for our last night in Italy.

The Moral to the Story is: you can travel through Africa, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, the Czech Republic, Switzerland and still get ripped off in a nice villa in Italy :)

Song Quote of the Blog: "And if you want to talk about it once again" James Blunt - Song Cry

No comments: