
Sunday, September 3, 2006
Apparently there is a “cult” of some kind in the state of Texas. Texans claim to be their own country….not sure why.
Now you are probably wondering what in the world does Texas have to do with Paris. Let me explain.
While I was in Amsterdam, I picked up a brochure for bike tours in Paris, Berlin, and Barcelona. Since I was going to Paris, I decided to check out the bike tours.
Upon meeting and talking with the guide, I came to find out that the tour company is owned by a guy from Texas. My guide, Brandon is from Texas and the majority of the guides at the company are as well.
This is the first time, since I started traveling, where I was surrounded by so many Americans. Not many Americans seem to travel. The majority of Americans don’t even have a passport.
Highlights of the day tour were the Eiffel Tower, Ecole Militaire, the Louvre, Napoleon’s Tomb, Place de la Concorde, the Arc du Carrousel (on top are four bronze statutes taken by Napoleon from St. Mark’s Square in Venice. The statues were returned to Venice and replicas were made in 1828).
For lunch we ate at a café in Jardin des Tuileries which is the most central park in Paris.
Towards the end of the tour, I was watching a couple of young kids learning to ride a bike with training wheels and it reminded me when my younger brother learned to ride a bike. My whole family watched as he took his first rotations on my grandparent’s driveway. We were all so proud of his accomplishment as we cheered him on.
After the day tour, I went to the Musee d’Orsay (a beautiful 19th century railway station that was turned into a museum) with a couple of guys that I met on the tour. One was from Dublin, Ireland and the other one was from San Diego, California. Since it was Sunday, the museum was free.
The museum covers a period from mid 19th to mid 20th century and contains works by Monet, Van Gogh, Renoir, and Cezanne.
That night I went on the night tour with the same tour company. Our guide was River, a young, grungy guy with long, blond dreadlocks from America. He was funny as all get up.
This tour is where I learned about the A--men of Texas A&M. Two guys in my group were appointed the a—men which meant they brought up the rear and made sure we all survived. At times I feared for my life with them in the rear (Ed. Note: Whit and James – I hope you know that I am kidding – you both did an outstanding job!!)
A couple of highlights from the night tour were the Notre Dame, ice cream (yummy raspberry sorbet and chocolate), the night boat tour along the Seine River. The city is beautiful at night especially the Eiffel Tower. Every hour starting at 9 at night, for ten minutes it lights up and flashes.

No comments:
Post a Comment