
Wednesday, August 30, 2005
As the plane took off out of Nairobi and started to rise above the clouds, I looked out the window and was just in awe at how gorgeous the sky looked. The clouds were so full and beautiful and the sun was just starting to set. The sight was breathtaking.
After a crazy Amsterdam airport, I made it to my hostel for the next few days to drop off luggage and then it was time for me to venture out into the streets of Amsterdam. I went to Amsterdam’s most popular flea market called Waterlooplein Flea Market. They sell everything from clothes, hats, gloves, cds, fauz Rembrant paintings, and cooking pots. Before World War II, you could find antiques and paintings. I like going to flea markets just to see what is being sold and people watching is always fun.
Later that afternoon, I went on a 3 hour walking tour of Amsterdam. It was a fun tour and I learned tons about the history of Amsterdam. A few highlights of the tour were the Central Station – built between 1884 and 1889 on three artificial islands; Old Church – this beautiful 13th century church is notable for its 27 stained-glassed windows; the Dam Square – the site of the original dam built across the Amstel river in the 13th century; Narrowest House; the widest bridge, and the Hash Marihuana Hemp Museum – no, I did not actually go into the museum.Song Quote of the day: “Come on, oh my star is fading, I swerve out of control, If I, If I'd only waited, I’d not be stuck here in this hole.” Coldplay – song Amsterdam

No comments:
Post a Comment